Thursday, January 24, 2013

J at Eight

Hello Friends,

I thought I should take a moment or two and document about my sweet J at 8 years old.

J is a dark blond, blue eyed, tall (4 feet 3 inches), skinny (60 lbs) heap of second grade sweetness.  He is almost out of size 8 pants because they are too short. But 10's are too long depending on the brand.  No matter what brand he wears, we have to buy slim AND the waist has to be adjustable or they just fall off!  He thinks its hilarious when he can "pants himself" by walking around the house!   He is polite (most of the time) and thoughtful to and about others (again, most of the time).

J is very artistic.  The art work he brings home is so intricate and beautiful.  Classroom teachers often have children draw an idea to prompt writing;  they tell me they have to remind him to stop with the drawing in order to do the work.  Deep down, I like that.

He is frighteningly good at math.  Seriously, he can do stuff in his head that amazes me (and I need to think about hard before I get the answer) multiplication, easy division, subtraction and addition - all of it.  He just seems to "get" it.  He brought home some work before the holidays that was pre-algebra! Do you recall he is only in 2nd grade?  :)

J still takes tap dance and is pretty good at it. I might be a bit biased, but I think if he continues he could be great at it!  He was taking Tae Kwon Do through our Rec program, but we are taking a semester break as it added to our cold weather running around and the registration fee was due right after the holidays.....He seems ok with it.  I think that when we re-join, Husband is going to take the class with him.  It will be good for both of them.

He adores his little brother.  J is prideful of him and is thrilled when he is rewarded with hugs and Z attention.  He tries hard to play with Z and makes concessions with toys in order to do so.  J has turned the corner in reading and likes to try to read to Z.....who doesn't always appreciate the effort!

J always was and still is a cuddle bug.  He will still snuggle at every opportunity and although we don't fit in the rocker together very well anymore, he will try to climb up on me for a rock at night if he gets the chance.  I suspect that a photo would look like arms and legs everywhere.  Its not very comfy for me but he likes it.  I try to snuggle with him in his bed at night but sometimes, its too late and we just need everyone to get to sleep ASAP.  J has nightmares sometimes, I suspect it's his body's way of waking him up to use the bathroom, but he sure gets frightened. And from silly stuff like "Scoo.by D.oo" Needless to say we monitor what he watches and don't push that envelope very far. He is very interested in H.arry P.otter stuff - I'm just not sure about introducing it yet.   When he wakes up with a nightmare, I send him to the bathroom and then he can come sleep in our bed for awhile.  Cuddles again!  That only lasts until Husband or I needs to move around or it gets too hot, our bed is only a Queen and not intended for 3 people.  I know this cuddle stage will eventually go away as he grows older.  I try to treasure it and allow it when I can.

He is a relatively easy going boy who adores his electronics; Wii, 3DS, computer games in general, and he is thrilled when he can get his hands on Husbands or my Android based phones for Angry Birds.   He is also very into Leg.o's and other little boy toy collections that I do not understand ie: Beyblades.  As I said earlier he turned a corner in reading ability and comprehension and is on a roll.  He asked for books for his birthday so my sister took him to a major local bookseller and he got to buy 3 beginning chapter books.  He also got a timer bookmark from my sister-in-law.  He is very proud when he finishes another book and accomplishes his weekly school reading goal.

I could talk about my sweet boy all day long, but I think I should get some work done ;)

Have a great day everyone!








No comments:

Post a Comment