Monday, January 28, 2013

2 year old Z

Hello Friends,

I should be fair and do a snapshot of my little Z at 2 years old.  

Holy cow that went fast and yet it feels as if hes been a part of us forever.  What can I tell you about him today?  He is tiny, barely 26 lbs and 35 inches.  Still wearing some 18-24 month outfits and some 2T stuff is falling off of him.  And yet this little guy is a full on whirlwind of energy.  He wakes up around 6:15/6:30 ready to play and never stops but to sleep; one decent nap a day and bedtime at 8:30.    He has a fantastic smile and his giggles are infectious.  He runs, jumps, gallops, rarely walks, climbs, tumbles, and launches himself through life.

Z understands everything we say.  He follows simple instructions fairly well and clearly has things to tell us just does not have the words to do so. Husband, babysitter and I made a list; it has about  36 "words" that we have heard him say. I use words loosely as for many of them you kinda have to interpret but in the last few weeks it has gotten easier to communicate with him.  Frustration levels have gone down significantly on both sides. He still exclusively signs for "thank you" and "all done" - wont even attempt to say them and happily nods yes or no at you to confirm what he has signed.  The Birth to Three social worker will be calling be soon to follow up and see if we need to do anything further.  His doctor says hes certainly not ahead but he is doing fine for the age.

He is so easy to put down at night.  We say prayers as a family, and give kisses and hugs all around.  Then, we read three books, in a specific order (his choice not mine), while rocking in his room.  I play a lullabye cd for him, put him in his crib, tuck a Poo.h Bear lovey in his arm as he pops his two fingers in his mouth.  I cover him up with 2 specific blankets (again, his choice lately) and walk out.  He has been having some trouble sleeping through the night but I think hes confused with the time. When he gets up and I let him get up at 6:15/6:30am its still just as dark in his room as it is at 4am......   The other night I went in to soothe him and he reached up to be picked up and he pointed to the hall way and said "pay car?"  Play Cars?  J has a Hot Wh.eels Wall Track set and Z LOVES to play with it.  He thought it was time to get up and play....he was VERY sad to find out it wasn't time to get up. On the plus side, he is just as easy to get to go back to sleep.

Z goes to the babysitters house daily during our work hours and is so happy to see her every day.  She takes such good care of our boys.   He has also spent time at the day care where J goes before and after school and easily integrates into their routine and loves to be there too.  If I could afford it, I would send them both there.  Not because its better than her house, its just different and it would mean only one drop off in the morning and one pick up in the afternoon.  Sometimes I take him in with me to pick up J and all the teachers smile and say Hi to him and he smiles and waves back and usually cries when its time to get in the car after only 5 min.  That makes me feel so good (not the act of crying just that he is comfortable there).  Its nice to have options for him  - especially since his sitter takes off A LOT of days in the summer.  And I refuse to take her days off as mine if I don't have to.   

Shopping with Z has proven lately to be less than pleasurable.  He wont sit in the cart for anything not even candy (yes I have tried).  Seriously, he screams bloody murder - like I'm torturing him or something.  So I let him out of the cart to walk and he refuses to hold hands - again sliding to the disgusting store floor and crying....I would let him walk alone but he doesn't listen, he wants to run the aisles and J cant help because Z either thinks its a game and runs faster, or hates it and screeches.  Then, if we actually make it to the register, when I am paying, he runs towards the door (because we are done and it must be time to go right?) and those automatic doors that are so nice when you are pushing a cart are NOT good at stopping a toddler!  AT ALL! They slide right open!  I cannot tell you how many times I left my purse with wallet open to sprint after him to stop him before he actually gets outside.   Husband says, you shouldn't leave your purse like that.....(eye roll.  Really?  Kid or purse.....?hmmmmmm)

So we have stopped going.  Yes, we gave up going in as a family.  We either stop and either Husband or I run in alone while the rest of us wait in the van, or we order P.ea Pod.  They deliver right into your kitchen!  You can order online right up until the night before and  then they bring it in!  As long as you watch, price wise its not much different and we don't have to take him in there! Note: In the last week he has gone in with Husband for short jaunts and has apparently been good. We'll see.......

Lastly, my little ball of energy has figured out that snuggling is a good thing.  I LOVE IT!  He has never liked that very much, that kind of made me sad sometimes because J was/is such a snuggler. We were better off putting him down as an infant than trying to rock it out.  Within the last few months, he will crawl up next to me and put his head down with his fingers in his mouth.  Sometimes laying right on me, other times just being real close to me and touching or patting. Over the weekend, he pulled up my shirt and laid his cheek on my tummy.  It was like he needed some kangaroo snuggling or something! Sigh...all of it makes me very contented!

Have a great day everyone!


No comments:

Post a Comment