Tuesday, June 28, 2011

A Birth Control Discussion - really?

Hello Friends,

Its hard to believe that after 3+ years of no birth control, adding fertility drugs and all the other stuff resulting in no baby and then not 1 but 2 pregnancies last year, one, thankfully resulting in baby Z,  I must discuss and think about birth control.  But it is a reality.  So here goes.

Now, mind you, at my 6 week postpartum appt I asked to be put on the mini-pill while breastfeeding, because when you have a baby in January, it is entirely possible to have another baby in the same calendar year.  YIKES! That was a form of Russian Roulette I was not willing to play.  Our finances, and our household space could not take another baby right now.  Oh, of course we would make it work, but I would have to quit my job and it would be beyond hard.

Husband and I have always discussed only wanting two children.  Now, after lots of hard work and prayers, our family is complete with two children.  Five months complete.  I am having a hard time keeping up on the pumping at work and my body knows it as it just started its 2nd cycle post baby.  This means that the mini pill combined with breast feeding may not be doing enough to prevent further pregnancy.  So a decision had to be made.  My doctor gave us several options:
1 - Condom - prolly not a popular choice for Husband and I'm not a huge fan
2 - Pull and Pray. Yes you read that right! I had never heard it called that and thought it was very funny.  But not reliable and not always satisfying and to be honest I think we were trying that method when I told him not to cause it was sooo good and we got Z.....  'nough said.
3 - Switch to the regular pill, don't forget to take it.  
4 - Do something more permanent to either Husband or myself.  Now most people, after having 2 babies, would have their husband go get snipped.  But mine has already had a surgery down there for testicular cancer and he is none to thrilled to do it again, even though its minor.  He has said that he would if that's what I wanted but he'd rather not.  Can you blame him?  I cant.  So that leaves me.  Should I get my tubes tied?  While I'm fairly certain that we are done, it took soooo long to get baby Z that I'm reluctant to jump right to permanent.  Can you blame me?
5 - Dr VF recommended Mi.r.ena.  She said it has same sucess rate as snipping or tubes and can be put in, work for 5 years and if we change our minds about another baby, it can be removed and we can try right away.  Called my ins and they said it was covered   in full after deductible.   Well, I had a baby in Jan so we have beyond met our deductible for this year!  So for $0 I can have it put in and have no costs associated with birth control for the next 5 years........ No brainer!

Yesterday, I went and had it put in.  A little painful going in, and then crampy for the rest of the day and today nothing.  No co-pays for 5 years, nothing to think about for 5 years, nothing permanent for 5 years, and no babies for 5 years.  At that point I will be old.  Yes I will be old then, and will be ready to make a more permanent decision.  Or I can just have another put in and go from there.  :)

So there you have it.  I successfully made a decision with out actually making a decision. Have a great 4th of July folks.  

2 comments:

  1. Two things dear one...
    1) I am a product of "pull and pray." My parents are very Catholic and that was their form of birth control, only Mom got the weeks mixed up and thought the "middle" weeks were the safe ones. Oops....hello Nikus!
    2) My dear friend has Mirena and she loves it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved this little birth control conversation I was able to read. :) I have almost done Mirena two times now, but always chicken out and just go for the mini-pill. Ah, gotta love the woes of birth control. As for your previous post, awesome playset! I'm sure Jackson is loving it! I also hope you are enjoying your time away from teaching; I sure am! But, I do think of TTP almost daily; it is a great studio. Anyway, take care and keep these blog posts coming, because I know you have so much downtime. :)

    ReplyDelete